Quite recently, a friend and her husband jetted off abroad for their honeymoon. Two weeks in the Caribbean, basking in the hot sunshine whilst the rest of us shivered in our coats and jumpers here in Britain. I did have to laugh when they arrived home to thick snow and ice – it felt like a little bit of karma after they rubbed it in with their gorgeous pictures of cocktails on the beach!
The one problem that I know they had was packing for their winter sun getaway. After all, the shops are full of winter coats, snuggly jumpers and boots – not anything you really need to think about if you’re jetting off to warmer climes for a week or two! Not only did they find it difficult to actually buy what they needed to take, but even trying to think about shorts and swimsuits in November was trickier than they thought. With this in mind, I thought it would be pretty useful (with their help of course!) to put together a winter sun essentials checklist.
1. Swimwear – If you’re going anywhere near a beach or a pool, you need some good swimwear. Whether you decide to go for a bikini or a one piece, there is a huge range of ladies swimwear available online. Many stores sell tops and bottom halves separately, so you can mix and match styles.
2. Sun protection – Probably the most important thing you need to think about. It’s so easy to forget when we are so used to clouds, rain and very little in the way of sun, but if you only took one thing with you, it should be sun protection. Go for the highest SPF available and don’t forget to reapply every couple of hours, especially if you have been in the water.
3. A beach bag – If you take a beach bag that doubles up as an everyday bag, you’ll have more space to bring home all that duty-free! This gorgeous metallic one from ASOS will take you from the beach to bar effortlessly – and you can still use it once you’re back home.
5. Shades – Aviator sunglasses look great on everyone and the classic style means it’s well worth spending an extra few quid on a good quality pair – they’ll never go out of fashion. I love the ones from The Sunglasses Shop.
6. A jacket – You still might need something on an evening – when the sun goes down it can get a little chilly, and whatever the weather is like abroad, it will be cold when you land back in the UK. Something you can chuck in your hand luggage is ideal. A denim jacket is always a good choice – it goes with just about everything!
7. Flip flops – pick the right pair and you can wear them by the pool, out and about when you’re exploring or to the bar in the evening. Go for something in a neutral colour to wear with everything.
8. Towel – a Hammam towel is always a fantastic investment, particularly when you’re going on holiday. They’re much more absorbent and lightweight (so more weight left over for duty-free!) than a normal towel and you can get them in a really unique style – you’ll need one to stand out on the sunbeds. Try the Hammamas UK shop for a fantastic range.
What are your essentials for a winter sun holiday?