More and more people want their beauty products to have natural ingredients than chemicals. According to reports by consumers, there is significant growth in consumer interest with natural products. You may want to use less chemicals on your skin and body for many reasons.
You could have allergic reactions to certain ingredients. You could just want to give your body a much-deserved break as part of a summer self-care routine. However, purchasing all-natural beauty products can be very expensive, depending on the store you’re buying them from. Or you can be skeptical about the true amount of natural ingredients in the products these businesses are selling. Some products, like face whitening toners, can be very hard to replicate with natural ingredients.
Lucky for you, there are plenty of recipes for effective beauty products that you can make right from the comfort of your kitchen.
Below are 3 simple but effective all-natural beauty products that you can whip up from scratch.
- Turmeric Exfoliating Face Mask
Turmeric is one of the most powerful antioxidants in nature. Normally, you would have to steep it like tea or incorporate it into a meal to get the benefits. However, your skin can also reap the regards of turmeric via direct application. This recipe will offer your skin great but subtle moisturization as well as exfoliate your pores.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of unflavored and unsweetened yogurt. The plainest brand possible is your best bet. Try to go for all-natural yogurt fresh from a dairy, if possible.
- 1 tablespoon of organic honey. You can choose raw honey as well, to ensure there are as few processed sugars and additives.
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Buy from organic or Asian food stores to get the best possible quality. Supermarket turmeric might also be stale so fresh is your friend.
In a small, clean bowl, mix all the ingredients together. If the turmeric is lumpy, you may consider grinding it even further in a mortar and pestle. Stir it until you have a smooth paste. Use this face mask after you’ve washed and cleaned your face and the skin is still damp. Apply evenly to your face and leave it on for anywhere between 10 and fifteen minutes before washing it off.
- Moisturizing Coconut Lip Balm
Summer comes with heat and sun, and both of these factors can increase the risk of chapped lips. Store-bought lip balms can be very ineffective in adequately protecting your lips from losing moisture. Not to mention, their mixture can feel really weird and uncomfortable on your lips. This natural lip balm combines the intense moisturizing power of coconut oil with a delicious twist of vanilla.
For this recipe, you will need:
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa butter for additional creaminess and smoothness. You can use mango butter if you prefer its smell and flavor.
- 3 tablespoons of beeswax. Get ones that are fresh from the source if you can, from farmer’s markets or from apiarists.
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil is the best type and will help your lips keep smooth and plump.
- A few drops of vanilla extract. This ingredient will give the lib palm a delicious dessert-like flavor.
If your butters and beeswax are in solid form, grate them finely into a large bowl. Put them, along with the coconut oil, into a mason jar. Fill a saucepan a third of the way up with water and bring it to a boil. Submerge the bottom half of the jar in the boiling water. Once the contents begin to melt, mix them vigorously with a long spoon. When all the ingredients are homogenous, remove jar from water and add vanilla. Pour the mixture while still fluid into a lib balm container.
- Sugary Cinnamon Body Scrub
Your skin requires constant exfoliation, and you will want it to smell nice. You can achieve both without using harsh soaps and chemicals with these delightfully sugary body scrub. Cinnamon can be a little harsh, which is why you should use it conservatively in this recipe.
- 1 and Â½ cup of raw sugar. This is not processed and still has more nutrients than white sugar. It’s also coarser, which is better for exfoliation.
- 1 cup of sunflower seed oil to bind and smoothen the mixture. This will act as the bonding agent for the scrub.
- 10 drops of your choice of essential oils for the right scent.
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. This will make your body scrub more exfoliating and smell great.
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, slowly streaming in the sunflower oil. Mix until the entire thing is well-combined. Store in an air-tight container. When bathing, apply directly to your skin and massage carefully before sluicing it off with water. Natural ingredients can have the same effects as chemicals, but you have to be careful when mixing them together. These recipes will help you stay clean and beautiful as well as highlight the rejuvenating power of natural ingredients